[Standards] XMPP VPN?

Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Sat Dec 13 08:57:32 UTC 2008

Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> Well, I recently saw that Wippien has VPN support and uses XMPP for
> the messaging part. I thought that it maybe might be a good idea to
> have a XEP for VPN via XMPP. I think this could be achieved quite well
> with Jingle. We would just need a XEP which specifies how the packets
> should be transfered over the tunnel established by Jingle. What do
> you think?

I always like the something-over-XMPP idea. This includes HTTP, VNC, and
VPN seems crazy but why not. But for everything like this we need more
bandwidth. If can not use IBB for that. VPN over XMPP can use the
existing ICE-UDP, but this against shows that we need good TCP support
for XMPP.

Dirk

--
Unix is the worst operating system; except for all others.
                -- Berry Kercheval