[Standards] mobile optimizations (was: Re: DevCon report)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Feb 27 18:01:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Dave Cridland wrote:

> I also have a fondness for modified strictly increasing timestamps, but
> implementors need to appreciate that computer clocks go backwards, so they
> need to remember to handle odd cases like that by "letting time catch up" -
> just using a few ms later than the last timestamp until the real time is
> greater than the last timestamp.

Why not specify a monotonically increasing version counter instead of a
real time stamp?

Tony.
BAILEY FAIR ISLE FAEROES: WEST OR SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8,
PERHAPS SEVERE GALE 9 IN BAILEY AND FAEROES LATER. ROUGH OR VERY ROUGH,
OCCASIONALLY HIGH. RAIN OR SQUALLY SHOWERS. MODERATE OR GOOD.