[Standards] XEP-0198 suggestion (Stream management)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Feb 27 14:34:08 UTC 2009

On Fri Feb 27 13:50:05 2009, Mickael Remond wrote:
> My point was to avoid giving meaning to opaque data. Yes, we can do
> that, but if it is a good practice and a usefull information for
> several
> server, I think we can expect the XEP to promote that.

No, I disagree, the sm-id is allocated by the server, the server can
put as much meaning into it as it wants. It's still opaque to the
client.

If the server's implementation means that it needs to have access to
the full jid, then it should encode that into the sm-id.

There is abolutely no need at all to make such encoding interoperable.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/