[Standards] Fwd: Meeting minutes 2010-02-15

Nicolas Vérité nicolas.verite at process-one.net
Thu Feb 18 14:02:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 14:51, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> 2. Compression makes multicast structures unnecessary.
>
> It does? A lot of people are skeptical about the argument "oh don't
> worry about how verbose this is, compression will solve the problem".

Maybe that's true from a C2S bandwidth consumption point of view, but
from a server routing mechanism perspective, it makes sense, if not
mandatory for scalability. I wouldn't be completely sure about that.

>> 4. This indeed is the worst of IRC brought to XMPP.
>
> Nice! What's needed to bring the *best* of IRC to XMPP?

At least, by reproducing netsplits, the folks over there would feel
confortable like at home. Is this what we need to bring their strength
and support to an open federated network?

Or else, ther's also the Poezio XMPP client, a console-based software
that completely mimics the IRC-styme anonymosity and channels (no
one-to-one chat, no presence, no roster, etc.):
http://codingteam.net/project/poezio

--
Nicolas Vérité - ProcessOne
http://process-one.net