[Standards] XEP-0079 Advanced Message Processing

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Jun 5 02:49:39 UTC 2010

On 5/1/10 10:38 AM, Artur Hefczyc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am almost finishing implementation of this XEP.
> Either I am wrong or there is a mistake in following XEP's examples:
> 7, 8 and 9 which show the server response to the user/client.
>
> Let me take the example 7 as an example ;-)
>
> Example 7. Alert Response
>
>   <message from='hamlet.lit'
>            to='bernardo at hamlet.lit/elsinore'
>            id='chatty2'>
>     <amp xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/amp'
>          status='alert'
>          from='francisco at hamlet.lit'
>          to='bernardo at hamlet.lit/elsinore'>
>       <rule action='alert' condition='deliver' value='stored'/>
>     </amp>
>   </message>
>
> The incorrect part in my opinion is 'to' and 'from' attributes
> in the message or/and in the amp element.
> The alert is sent back to the original message sender ('bernardo at hamlet.lit/elsinore')
> in the above example, therefore this JID should be placed in 'from' attribute in
> amp element. Or I am wrong and misunderstood the XEP?

Artur, you are right, because XEP-0079 says:

###

The 'from' attribute specifies the original sender of the containing
<message/> stanza. This attribute MUST be specified for any <message/>
stanza sent from a supporting server, regardless of the recipient. It
SHOULD NOT be specified otherwise. The value of the 'from' attribute
MUST be the full JID (node at domain/resource) of the sender for the
original <message/> stanza.

The 'to' attribute specifies the original (intended) recipient of the
containing <message/> stanza. This attribute MUST be specified for any
<message/> stanza sent from a supporting server, regardless of the
recipient. It SHOULD NOT be specified otherwise. The value of the 'to'
attribute MUST be the full JID (node at domain/resource) of the intended
recipient for the original <message/> stanza.

###

I've corrected those examples.

/psa