[Standards] XEP-0045 message ids

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Nov 10 12:30:20 UTC 2010

If a client sends a chatroom a message, and that message has an id,
should outbound messages from the chatroom to the occupants use the
same id?

Doing so has obvious implications on id uniqueness, but apparently
most implementations preserve the id, and the result is that at least
one client implementation is relying on this behaviour.

Personally, I consider the two stanzas - occupant to MUC, and MUC to
occupants - to be distinct, just having the same (or similar, at
least) payloads - and therefore have different ids (indeed, different
per occupant). Everyone else seems to consider this a silly idea.

I'll go along with whatever people think - but it's something else to
add to XEP-0045, whichever way people decide.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/