[Standards] review of XEP-0301 [ event='reset']

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Sun Aug 19 19:21:30 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-19 19:11, Mark Rejhon wrote:

>> My proposal has now become:
>>
>> event='new'
>> Senders MUST use this value when transmitting the first <rtt/> element
>> containing Action Elements (i.e. when sending the first character(s)
>> of a new message). Recipient clients MUST initialize a new real-time
>> message for display, and then process action elements within the
>> <rtt/> element. If a real-time message already exists, from the same
>> sender in the same chat session, its content MUST be replaced (i.e.
>> cleared prior to processing action elements). Senders MAY send
>> subsequent <rtt/> elements that do not contain an event attribute.
>>
>> event='reinitialize'
>> For recipients, both 'new' and 'reinitialize' are logically identical,
>> and can process exactly the same [[[Action Elements]]], in any number, in
>> any order. They differ only for implementation purposes (e.g.
>> highlighting newly-started messages). Recipient clients MUST
>> initialize a new real-time message for display, and then process
>> action elements within the <rtt/> element. If a real-time message
>> already exists, from the same sender in the same chat session, its
>> content MUST be replaced (i.e. cleared prior to processing action
>> elements). Senders MAY send subsequent <rtt/> elements that do not
>> contain an event attribute. Recipients MUST be able to process 'reset'
>> without first receiving 'new'. In addition, a common purpose of
>> 'reinitialize' is retransmissions, including Message Reset, used for
>> Keeping Real-Time Text Synchronized and Basic Real-Time Text.
These definitions were fine before and still look good.

I think the remaining problem is the talk about retransmission, when in
reality it is retransmission and new transmission together.

I withdraw my proposal to see the reset as just the part of the message
that really is a retransmission. That view does not match your
description of use of reset for the "Basic real-time text".

So, instead we can accept your definition that results in that the
message reset contains both the retransmitted and new text and other
elements.

Instead we need to adjust the words around retransmission. The first
sentence in 4.6.3http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html#message_reset
   needs to be modified.

It is now: " A message reset is a retransmission of the sender's
partially composed text."

How about: "A message reset is a transmission of the sender's partially
composed text from the beginning of the real-time message."

With that definition, we can let the Note in 4.6.3 be as it is.

Gunnar