[Standards] Call for Experience: Advancement of XEP-0047 (In-Band Bytestreams) to Final

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 10:58:54 UTC 2012

Le lundi 30 janvier 2012 à 15:54 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre a écrit :
> 1. What software has implemented XEP-0047? Please note that the
> protocol must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (and
> preferably more).

We implemented it in telepathy-gabble with Stream Initiation (we'll
switch to Jingle at some point hopefully). It's currently used as a
fallback when S5B is failing with file transfers and tubes.

We also implemented a variant which is used in MUC for D-Bus tubes data
transfer, but that's probably out of scope for the original XEP.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as defined
> in XEP-0047? If so, please describe the problems and, if possible,
> suggested solutions.

Tbh I implemented this almost 5 years ago so I don't really remember the
details. IIRC most of our concerns were about Stream Initiation not IBB
itself.

Looking at the code, we implement a "sending window" of 10 stanzas: we
send 10 stanzas and stop sending until we start receiving acks.
XEP says: "The sender of a data chunk need not wait for these
acknowledgements before sending further stanzas. However, it is
RECOMMENDED that the sender does wait in order to minimize the potential
for rate-limiting penalties or throttling."

Maybe it could suggest using such window to improve performance?

	G.