[Standards] XEP-0301 -- starting and stopping real-time text in a chat session.

Kurt Zeilenga kurt.zeilenga at isode.com
Sun Jul 1 05:29:44 UTC 2012

On Jun 30, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Mark Rejhon wrote:

> Gregg is correct, too.
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv at trace.wisc.edu> wrote:
> but please also don't call messaging 'real time' because it isn't.   It is "instant delivery of a message"  but it is messaging - not real time conversation.
>
> Pre-emptive reply, since "real-time" can be subject to interpretation.
> We are going by the International Telecommunications Union definition of "real-time" of being less than 1 second latency.
> See ITU-T Rec. F.700, "Multimedia Conversational Services", section 2.1.2.1

I don't really object to the spec being called "real time text".  What I object to is not keep clear (and separate) issues which pertain to RTT as a extension to XMPP IM vs. RTT as a part of 'total (real-time) conversation service".

> So, according to ITU-T, instant messaging is NOT real-time -- required for true "CONVERSATIONAL" interactivity.

As I noted, the XMPP community has used a different of real-time for years.

-- Kurt