[Standards] Event Logging over XMPP

Mike Taylor bear at bear.im
Sun Nov 10 17:21:54 UTC 2013

On 11/10/2013 11:26 AM, Yusuke DOI wrote:
> Peter,
>
> (2013-11-11 0:43), Peter Waher wrote:
>
>> XML has many features that are very nice: Plugability and
>> versioning using namespaces, validation (schema), swearch (xpath)
>> and transformations/conversions (xslt).
>
> I don't think it's beneficial to start JSON vs. XMPP discussion
> here. If we want to hand logs to JSON-based systems, this doesn't
> mean we should use JSON as-is. For example, we can still use
> JSON-ish XML instead. In the case, if we use complex namespace and
> XML-ish versioning, XML-JSON binding may become broken.
>
> What I would like to clarify is use cases.

fortunately I don't think we need to go down that dragon strewn path
as we can now just put xmpp-ftw or stanza.io into the mix.

>>> 'logging' is a too broad word I think. What framework/logging
>>> facilities in your mind?
>>
>> I was thinking of network/admin logging, for instance like or
>> based on Syslog semantics (also IETF). Could be used to log
>> events of interest to system administrators, network architects,
>> etc. Can also be used to find problems or learn how IoT networks
>> based on XMPP work.
>
> Then, I guess netconf/netmod(YANG) and SNMP will be a first
> choices. FYI, as IoT-related disucussion there are proposal on
> CoAP-based management interface (not adopted by IETF yet).
>
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg05102.html

The realm of logging appears to be broadly divided into two camps; the
folks who live in the structured realm of SNMP type log generation and
the others who sling text and/or JSON at a receiving entity.

I am mainly interested in using XMPP as a transport so am not to
worried about maintaining a strict XML structure but I can see how
that would be beneficial to have. This means we would need to identify
a core set of elements as MUST with the rest being optional.

- --

bear
xmpp agitator; ops curmudgeon; generalist
http://bear.im/about
http://bear.im/pubkey.txt
0A93 9BA7 8203 FCBC 58A9 E8B5 9D1E 0661 8EE5 B4D8