[Standards] XEP-0280: carbons + <message/> stanzas of type normal

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Aug 28 09:03:21 UTC 2014

I want to use the "forking" of <message/> stanzas as described in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6121#section-8.5.2.1.1
in order to "fork" Jingle calls in a way that allows the receiver to
pick the device which accepts the call.

In order to use this forking, my resource needs to have a non-negative
though, which means it would also receive messages of type=chat. Since I
want to use this for clients that don't provide a chat interface I do
not want to receive chats if possible.

Matthew Wild pointed out to me that carbons works around the RFC here:
http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-08-28#08:29:58

That way, I can keep a negative priority (which hopefully doesn't show
the client as something-you-can-chat-with in other clients)

However, http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0280.html#inbound-bare only
talks about messages of type chat.

1) can we change 0280 to also allow this type of processing for messages
of type normal? prosodys mod_carbons seems to do this anyway.

2) is there a chance of extending carbons in a way such that a resource
might selectively enable carbons just for normal messages? E.g. by
including children in the <enable/> element that specify the desired types?