[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0327 (Rayo)

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.me
Mon Apr 6 14:48:52 UTC 2015

Disclosure: I'm the author of this spec.

On 6 April 2015 at 11:26, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:

> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on XEP-0327
> (Rayo).
>
> Abstract: This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension for the
> third-party control of telephone calls and other similar media sessions.
> The protocol includes support for session management/signaling, as well as
> advanced media resources such as speech recognizers, speech synthesizers
> and audio/video recorders. The protocol serves a different purpose from
> that of first-party protocols such as Jingle or SIP, and is compatible with
> those protocols.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2015-04-17.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol stack or
> to clarify an existing protocol?

Yes. The XMPP protocol stack does not currently have an alternative
mechanism for third-party call control (Jingle being 1st-party).

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction and
> requirements?

Yes.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not, why
> not?

We have already implemented it in Adhearsion (http://adhearsion.com, via
the Punchblock library, http://github.com/adhearsion/punchblock). We also
have contributed to the development of a module for FreeSWITCH which
implements the specification, and have plans for a gateway between XEP-0327
and Asterisk's ARI protocol, which has similar goals to Rayo.

None.

Of course! ;)