[Standards] Current OTR Info

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sun May 8 17:05:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Chris Ballinger <chris at chatsecure.org> wrote:
> A quick fix would be to only send delivery receipts if the message could be
> successfully decrypted.

I think this makes sense as a recommendation for the informational
XEP, but I'd love to know if anyone is actually doing it in the wild.
/cc Daniel

> However we could go a step further and also send
> back a delivery receipt with an additional attribute indicating that the
> message failed to be decrypted, triggering an OTR session refresh and an
> automatic resend of the failed message(s)... only if the OTR fingerprint
> remains unchanged or is already trusted, of course.

I really like this idea; I don't think it makes sense to put it in an
XEP about current OTR usage, but I'd love to see a separate XEP with
some of these ideas flushed out if you'd consider writing one.
Alternatively, maybe it could go in
https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/otrdisco.html which I've more or
less abandoned, but might be worth turning into a more general
"XMPP-Specific OTR" tech spec.

—Sam

--
Sam Whited