[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0368 (SRV records for XMPP over TLS)

Ruslan N. Marchenko me at ruff.mobi
Wed Feb 15 07:21:39 UTC 2017

On 15.02.2017 07:44, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:

> I'm not here to convince you using balancers or/and ssl offload, feel
> free not to use them. The thing is load balancers exist and some people
> want to use them for whatever reason.

Exactly and normally load-balancers are making balancing decision when
accepting connection. Which is - stream header. Once it is balanced - i
don't believe you're going to demux tcp stream and spread stanzas from
single stream across multiple servers? In other words - load-balancing
of xmpp has no problems whatsoever in the current state. SSL offload -
yes, i believe it will require more sophisticated load-balancer which
understands underlying protocol and is able to reverse-proxy it. Which
is also the case for other start-tls based application protocols. And
for which nevertheless loadbalacers do exist and thriving.
So the use case described above is - how to build loadbalancer with ssl
offload for xmpp from components which don't speak xmpp. Which from my
understanding is again a corner-case.