[Standards] Push. Was Re: Council Minutes 2017-05-24

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed May 24 20:32:10 UTC 2017

On 24.05.2017 22:11, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> Hi,

>> On 24.05.2017 21:34, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
>>> We also came to the conclusion that it is desirable to actively close
>>> the TCP connection if an <r/> from the server remains unanswered after
>>> ~30 seconds or so. This is due to some platforms (read Android) not
>>> allowing us to properly close the connection ourself.
>>
>> Care to elaborate on the "properly close the connection" part on
>> Android? What is Android preventing here?
>
> When doze kicks in it doesn't RST the connection but just drops it. An
> App also doesn't get any notification of doze kicking in. (AFAIK)

I assume with the App *not* being whitelisted from doze mode? I guess
the intention is having the TCP connection still useable after the
device leaves doze mode.

Bus yes, a notification send to non whitelisted apps that the device
enters doze mode would be handy. Unfortunately I"m also not aware of
such a intent/callback provided by Android.

Let's hope that Android O will come with a whitelist feature for
background execution limits…

- Florian