[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Message Markup

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Nov 8 07:29:49 UTC 2017

* Goffi <goffi at goffi.org> [2017-11-08 08:17]:
> about the stars in the list items, it's not really nice to keep them.
>
> It would be good to have an attribute to say which plain text characters can
> be safely removed without changing the meaning.
> For instance type="numeric" means than "^[0-9]+\)" can be removed, type="star"
> mean that the first character must be a "*" and it can be removed.

That's a nice idea. We need a mechanism where characters can not be
removed (so we can't end up different meanings depending on client
capabilities), but replaced in a fashion that is directly mapped to the
body. Rendering a number at the beginning of an item differently, or
replacing a "* " with some bullet point seems like a sane (albeit
slightly complex) approach.

Georg