[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: Styling

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Wed Nov 8 10:34:23 UTC 2017

> * Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> [2017-11-08 10:40]:
>> I mild annoyance is that the sending client needs to support this. So
>> if i'm using mcabber which doesn't support styling I can never trigger
>> styling on the receiving side even if I, as a knowing user, know about
>> the syntax and the consequences of styling.
>
> What about the following compatibility proposal:
> - messages with a BMH(*) of "styling" get styled according to the
>   Styling XEP, and the markup characters are removed on display (but not
>   on copy&paste)
> - messages without a BMH get rendered as markup with the markup
>   charachters in place (compatibility)
> - messages with a BMH of "plain" get rendered verbatim with no styling
>   applied (opt-out)

I'm afraid it will not be clear to the average user why styled
messages sometimes show the keywords and sometimes they don't.

I'd prefer one unified way to handle the keywords. And I think the
current consensus was to keep the keywords. (You can make them a bit
opaque which looks quite nice imho)

cheers
Daniel