[Standards] XEP-0045 Room (JID) aliases

Maxime Buquet pep at bouah.net
Mon Apr 30 23:43:42 UTC 2018

Hi Standards,

I was wondering if it was possible to have aliases for a chatroom.

Say I want to have foo at muc as a proper room, and bar at muc as an alias,
joining bar at muc would make me join foo at muc instead.

Is there a solution for this already?

I was told to have a look at `<destroy/>` (10.9), but it does seem a bit
under-specified:
> The address of the alternate venue MAY be provided as the value of the
> <destroy/> element's 'jid' attribute

When I send this element with a jid attribute to prosody or ejabberd,
every participant gets an unavailable presence, with a `<destroy
jid='foo at muc' />` child. But the server doesn't remember and next time I
join bar at muc, it creates the room again.

I am also curious about client support, poezio doesn't do anything with
this 'jid' attribute at the moment.

Though, tbh this seems a bit convoluted for an alias.

Thanks!

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet