[Standards] Should we move Nicks out of MIX-CORE?

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Mon Jun 4 06:53:25 UTC 2018

[Steve Kille]

I'm not sure this is true.   Including the JID is mandatory in MIX-CORE

> If I have you in my contact list and I have given you a custom name I have
> probably done that for a reason and in 1:1 chats with that person I will always
> see that custom name; But how should this be handled in group chats then?
> Should it display the nix? Should it display the roster name?
[Steve Kille]

This can be a client choice.   The client could show JID, or MIX provided Nick, or a user-assigned Nick for the participant.   MIX is not mandating what gets shown.

> In any case; We don’t necessarily need to have a discussion on whether channel
> nicks are a good idea or not; Instead I’d rather make the argument that MIX
> promotes itself as being an extensible and flexible solution; so if it is technically
> possible to move nicks into it's own XEP it should be done.
>
> > However,  I could move it out into a new MIX-NICK.   What do people think?
>
> Yes let’s put it into a separate XEP
[Steve Kille]

It is quite separable, and I can see some real upsides to a new MIX-NICK XEP.   I am not opposed to a split.

However,  I take Tedd's point about excess splitting. Kev made the same point while I was typing.

Let's see what others think.

Steve