[Standards] [STANDARDS] XEP-0394: too weak to replace XEP-0071

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Fri Mar 16 17:10:38 UTC 2018

> XMPP can offer so many possibilities to it's users. Everyone can have
> a very special capability that only he and his chat partner will use.
> The downside is that total userbase would be 700 users.
> With so many unsolved problems concentrating on features that worsen
> UX and make client developer's life harder is counterproductive.

Some users want it, some don't. Including it as an optional feature is a good solution.

Those who want to use it can, and those don't want to use it can simply ignore it.

Not changing the text colour in response to a <tcolor> span doesn't seem particularly complex to me.

If the feature is not defined then it may well lead to the 'very special capability' type implementations that we should try to discourage.