[Standards] LAST CALL: XEP-0359 (Unique and Stable Stanza IDs)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Nov 26 12:38:18 UTC 2018

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 12:09, Ненахов Андрей <andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru>
wrote:

> пн, 26 нояб. 2018 г. в 17:02, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net>:
> >> Yes, so? Anyway we're discussing a XEP for Unique and Stable Stanza
> >> ID, and we like it as it currently is, precisely because we can count
> >> on origin-id being unique.
> > Why do you think that?
>
> Because it's written in XEP-0359. If a client conforms to it, it is
> kinda likely that origin-ids will be unique within scope. If not,
> well, our server will not break, but behavior will be unpredictable.
> But it's user's problems if he uses a client with broken
> implementation of unique IDs, no?

XEP-0359: "Thus the IDs defined in this extension MUST be unique and stable
within the scope of the generating XMPP entity."

RFC 6120: "It is up to the originating entity whether the value of the 'id'
   attribute is unique only within its current stream or unique
   globally."

Really, XEP-0359 provides very little in terms of a stronger requirement
for other entities to give you unique identifiers, and I thought it was
mostly about being able to add in your own identifiers on the basis that
other entities couldn't be relied upon to be unique.

Dave.