[Standards] Council Minutes 2019-08-28

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Tue Sep 3 15:38:15 UTC 2019

On 2 Sep 2019, at 20:57, Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> wrote:

> 4a) Advance to Draft: XEP-0300 (Use of Cryptographic Hash Functions in XMPP) - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0300.html <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0300.html>
> Georg: [on-list]
> Jonas: +1 (I think)
> Dave: +1 (I think)
> Link: [on-list]
> Kev: [pending]
>
> Georg doesn't think Table 1 belongs in the XEP, rather in an Informational XEP or a registry; Dave thinks the ideal solution would be registering the names with IANA - Jonas notes that that would require an RFC which updates RFC 3279 [1]. Georg is unsure whether the table is subject to change, but will vote +1 if it's guaranteed to remain as-is.

I agree that Table 1 is problematic. It’s there to supplement the IANA registry, but things we want to supplement that with are likely to change over time. That said, the registry itself is subject to change over time, so I’m not sure in practical terms that this table changing post-Draft would be different to that. So I think +1 is ok here.

> 4b) Advance to Draft: XEP-0353 (Jingle Message Initiation) - https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0353.html <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0353.html>
> Georg: [on-list]
> Jonas: [on-list] (default to -0)
> Dave: +1 (seems widely deployed and sensible)
> Link: [on-list] (default to +1)
> Kev: [pending]
>
> Jonas has little knowledge of Jingle, and there was no LC feedback.
> Georg needs to review the XEP for MAM and Carbons side-effects.
> Jonas questions whether it is widely deployed, given the total lack of feedback during the month-long LC - Dave suggests that might be due to low energy and engagement - Jonas will send a mail to the list [2].

The (belated) LC feedback seems to suggest outstanding questions that need answering before this is advanced, to me, so -1 until there’s a clearer picture.

/K