[Standards] XEP-0016, blocking incoming IQs - interpretation problem

Bartłomiej Górny bartlomiej.gorny at erlang-solutions.com
Fri May 8 12:55:36 UTC 2020

On 08/05/2020 14:34, Florian Schmaus wrote:
> On 5/8/20 12:41 PM, Bartłomiej Górny wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> We have a question, how exactly should a privacy list behave if it is
>> set up to block all incoming IQs. Namely: should it block all incoming
>> iqs whatsoever (including iq responses to the user's iq requests sent to
>> the server, iq pushes from the server etc), or only iq stanzas sent by
>> other users (entities with non-empty localpart other then the user's own)?
>
>  From xep16:
>
> <iq/> -- blocks incoming IQ stanzas
>
> so this means all IQ stanzas, independently of their type.

Thanks for answering. We are not wondering about types of iqs, though,
but about senders. If we block iqs from an entity it is quite clear that
it should block get, set etc. The question is basically, how to
interpret example 44. Should a global block on iqs block stanzas from
other users only, or from all entities - users, servers, my server, my
server account?

BG

> Whether or not if this is sensible is another question
>
> Clients wishing to perform an IQ request could switch to a temporary
> privacy list (or modifying the active list) prior sending the IQ request
> which allows IQs from the remote entity for the time of the request.
>
> - Florian

Code Sync & Erlang Solutions Conferences
<https://www2.codesync.global/l/23452/2019-11-13/6sypwx>

*
*

Code BEAM
Lite ITA - Bologna: Rescheduled

Code BEAM STO - Stockholm: Rescheduled

ElixirConf EU - Warsaw: 7-8 October 2020

Code Mesh - London: 5-6 November
2020

*
*

Erlang Solutions cares about your data and privacy; please find
all details about the basis for communicating with you and the way we
process your data in our Privacy Policy
<https://www.erlang-solutions.com/privacy-policy.html>. You can update your
email preferences or opt-out from receiving Marketing emails here
<https://www2.erlang-solutions.com/email-preference?epc_hash=JtO6C7Q2rJwCdZxBx3Ad8jI2D4TJum7XcUWcgfjZ8YY>.