[Summit] introduction

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 13:01:13 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm one of the directors of Collabora (http://www.collabora.co.uk/), we
do development and consultancy on open source real-time communications
and streaming stuff. I'm the lead developer of the Telepathy real-time
communications framework (http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/), which is
used on the Nokia internet tablets, and the OLPC project. XMPP is our
preferred supported protocol, and we've worked a lot on Jingle (our
support, and the specs) over the past year or two.

We're currently updating our implementation to the current state of
play, and would like to meet with fellow Jinglers to nail down a whole
load of outstanding Jingle issues:

* getting rid of weird SIP hang-overs in jingle like profiles
* sensible fallbacks between jingle transports, content-replace is kinda
loss
* TLS over jingle stuff
* jingle descriptions for "arbitrary stream protocol" transportation,
like any DNS-SD service (rfb, chess, whatever)
* other APIs which are useful for collaborative applications (shared
document models, but not weird bonghits like SXE)
* stacking/layering/nesting jingle transports, so we can say "here's a
reliability layer, on top of an unreliable transport" or "here's a TLS
layer on top of this unsecure transport"

I'm also interested in seeing if people have interest in Jingle
descriptions for including existing stream protocols, datagram
protocols, and D-Bus IPC, so that we can standardise/interoperate
Telepathy's Tubes (http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Tubes,
http://people.collabora.co.uk/~robot101/telepathy-guadec-2008.pdf).

I'll be arriving a little late on Monday morning because I'm speaking on
Sunday afternoon at LUG Radio Live in the UK, but will stick around
until Thursday so I can put in an appearance at the Oregon Brewers
Festival (http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/). :D

Look forward to seeing you there.

Regards,
Rob