[Summit] rough agenda

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Jul 16 13:05:16 CDT 2008

This is a rough agenda. As always, agenda bashing is welcome. I'd like
to keep the spirit of an unconference as much as possible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference

The summit hours will be something like this:

Monday 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Tuesday 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM

Typically people are burnt out after a day and a half, thus the shorter
day on Tuesday. But feel free to hang around and hack or continue the
discussions.

Given that we have ~40 people, it will be difficult to have a productive
conversation with only one track because some people will get bored with
the current topic and such. Therefore I suggest we hold hold full-group
sessions punctuated by breakouts of two or more concurrent threads (T1,
T2, etc.). During the multi-threaded times, people can move back and
forth as they please for discussion, hacking, interop testing, a change
of pace, etc. We'll work out the final details in real time. :)

For the full-group sessions we may use the fishbowl approach:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishbowl_(conversation)

For several of the sessions, I've provided URLs for background reading.

Lunch and beverages are included and will be served in the room.

Monday

9:30 - 10:00

Introductions, logistics, agenda bashing

10:00 - 11:00

T1: Interop testing setup + discussion about online testing

T2: XMPP 101 + general Q&A to bring newbies up to speed

11:00 - 12:00

Full-group session on hybrid technologies. No, that's not gas and
electric, it's HTTP + XMPP. Sub-topics include:

- When to use HTTP, when to use XMPP?

- OAuth
   http://oauth.net/
   http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0235.html

- REST and XMPP
   http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/schedule/detail/4359
   http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm
   http://arch.jabber.com/archives/2003/12/000062.html
   https://stpeter.im/?p=1791

- Shared rosters / communities
   http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/communities.html

12:00 - 1:00

Semi-working lunch of sorts. Wander off, stick around, hack code, check
email, post photos, blog about how much fun you're having, update your
GTD app with action items, whatever.

1:00 - 2:00

Lightning talks or speed geeking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Talk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Geeking

We have ~40 people. If 5 people present, that's 12 minutes each
including Q&A and 8 people in the audience for each speed geeking
session. Any volunteers to present? If not, I'll volunteer you! ;) You
can talk about any XMPP topic, but please leave the marketing outside,
this is a geek conference. :)

2:00 - 3:00

T1: Microblogging

     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/microblogging.html
     http://blog.dave.cridland.net/?p=61
     https://stpeter.im/?p=2224
     http://openmicroblogging.org/

T2: Server/component interactions

     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0114.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0225.html

3:00 - 4:00

T1: Jingle I (identify open issues for push to Draft)

T2: Pubsub I (general discussion)

4:00 - 4:30

Wrap-up, feedback, logistics, planning for day 2

Tuesday

9:30 - 10:00

Day 1 summary, logistics, agenda bashing

10:00 - 11:00

T1: Jingle II

T2: PubSub II

11:00 - 12:00

T1: Security, spam, etc.

     https://www.xmpp.net/
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0158.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0159.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0161.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0165.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0205.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0116.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0205.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0246.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0247.html
     etc.

T2: Mobile optimizations

     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0237.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html
     http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0206.html
     http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-February/017911.html
     http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-February/018036.html
     etc.

12:00 - 1:00

Semi-working lunch.

1:00 - 2:00

Open discussion

- What problems are we facing?

- What do we need to focus on going forward?
   http://www.xmpp.org/xsf/roadmap.shtml

- Etc.

2:00 - 2:30

Summary, action items, prep for hacking sessions, etc.

/psa