[Summit] physical constraints and agenda changes

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sun Jul 20 19:27:55 CDT 2008

I've run into a few physical constraints that will have an impact on our
meeting:

a. I've been informed that our room (E142) will be set up with rows of
chairs and a single table up front -- the typical layout for a "one to
many" presentation (e.g., where one person gives a talk to a relatively
passive audience, or where a panel of select experts discusses a topic
and the audience listens in). Clearly we would prefer to hold more of a
"many to many" session, and break the session down into threads or
smaller groups where possible. Unfortunately, I've also been informed
that the room layouts have been approved by the fire marshal and we're
not allowed to move the chairs around etc. -- and believe me, we don't
want our little summit to get shut down by the fire marshal, as the
Rails conference did a year or two ago.

b. I was able to obtain only one whiteboard, so only one "thread" can
have a whiteboard-assisted brainstorming session at a time.

c. I'd really like input on the HTTP+XMPP discussion from rabble (Evan
Henshaw-Plath of Fire Eagle and some other projects of interest), but he
won't arrive until after lunch on Monday.

Given these constraints, I've made the following adjustments to our agenda:

1. Speed geeking is out and lightning talks are in. We'll do these at
11:00 on Monday morning. However, I didn't get a projector so you will
need to depend on words without slides, and speak loud and clear. :)

2. I've tried to arrange the concurrent threads so that one thread is
smaller than the other. We can always move the smaller thread to the
back of the room or even into the hallway if necessary.

3. I've moved the HTTP+XMPP hybrid session to ~2:00 on Monday. In part
we'll use the microblogging thread at 1:00 as input to this session (and
perhaps also the 1:00 component connections thread as well).

An updated agenda is here:

http://www.xmpp.org/summit/summit5.shtml

Further adjustments may occur in real time. :) In particular I haven't
really budgeted time for hackfests and I'd really like to build that in,
so I'm open to pulling out one or more threads for some focused coding
sprints if folks are interested...

/psa