[Summit] IM people hiding?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri May 30 08:21:12 CDT 2008

On 05/29/2008 10:30 PM, Zack Sargent wrote:
> Okay, so this may not be an appropriate forum, but I'm tired and
> obviously not looking in the right places.  Sorry about the long and
> possibly boorish first post, but I couldn't find anywhere MORE
> appropriate to ask the following sorts of things:

No worries, we have a lot of forums. :)

> #1  Let's say that I worked for a national VOIP company and we
> believe that offering services tied together with XMPP is the
> shizzle.  In fact, one of my key developers seems to have large
> amounts of XMPP new-logo colored Kool-aid in his system.  He's made
> video calls and PSTN hookups using our network (and some lab gear, or
> I'd have him flogged) and, oh, by the way, XMPP instead of SIP
> registration.  We would like to learn more, and perhaps sponsor work
> a la Google, HP, etc.  How do we as a company help this community
> (and, as communities go, in turn be helped by it)?

How you help is up to you, there is no one right way to go about it.
Here are some possibilities:

1. We appreciate feedback on our specs (e.g., the Jingle specs are in an
extended Last Call right now as we gather implementation feedback). Join
the standards list <http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/standards>
and see <http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/>. You might even decide that we
need to define some new extensions -- we always welcome submissions.

2. You might think about helping out an open-source project that catches
your fancy (e.g., submitting patches for features you want). Join the
jdev list <http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/jdev> and see
<http://www.jabber.org/clients> and <http://www.jabber.org/servers>.

3. Run an XMPP service (or an XMPP aspect of your core service) and
connect it to the rest of the network. Join the operators list
<http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/operators> and see
<https://www.xmpp.net/>.

4. The XMPP Standards Foundation does indeed have some paying sponsors
but we are not primarily focused on raising money since we run a fairly
inexpensive operation. However feel free to ping me directly if you have
an interest in that.

> #2  We are consummate geeks.  You cannot out AT&T AT&T.  If you are
> in the voice biz to provide dialtone, ummm ... well, there are people
> that DO that.  We want to do stuff NEW.  We want to be used for
> things that we may not even know our network is getting used for
> (almost typo'd that as "sued for" ... but that's common with Verizon
> in your space).  Would love to RECRUIT someone with XMPP savvy (PHP,
> MySQL and SIP all big pluses).  Is that something we could do at the
> summit if one of my programmers and I showed up in July?  Or would
> that be tacky?

Lots of folks just post to the jdev list about openings (see above). Our
developer gatherings tend to be rather small, so you may not find
someone with the right skills there, but feel free to ask. I've always
seen it as part of my job that developers in our community can start to
be paid full-time to work on Jabber/XMPP stuff, and that's happening
more and more, which makes me happy. :)

> #3  I would love to show up and listen; Jon would love to
> participate.  I'm just a network hack with some interest; he's
> actually a programmer/VOIP engineer.  Any interest in VOIP <-> XMPP?
> If you guys would have interest in us coming and listening/rudely
> interjecting, I might make some arrangements for us to get there.

Sure, I'm working to get some other VoIP folks there, mostly people
working on Jingle and Jingle<->SIP. The format will be an unconference
so we'll work on whatever people find of interest.

> Voxitas employs a variety of tech with the following as my basic
> philosophy:  Buy the parts that do not create competitive advantage
> (e-mail, storage, etc.), build the parts that differentiate you in
> the marketplace.  We use a large swath of open source, but we have
> not had many chances to contribute back to those communities.
> However, we see this as an opportunity to be the first VOIP carrier
> to build a nationwide switching fabric with XMPP as an integration
> API (don't go spreading that around, yet - release of our "3.0"
> platform would be late this year, at best).  Our only real "gotcha"
> is "real-time-ness," because, well ... voice has to happen
> consistently, instantly, and immediately every time ...

Cool. This list is publicly archived so the cat is out of the bag by
now. ;-)