[Summit] About devroom and lightning talks as FOSDEM 2011

Steffen Larsen zooldk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 02:30:48 CST 2010

Hi Tuomas and other XMPP Summit friends!,

I am also a bit confused about where the info about the summit. On the link that Tuomas provides from our xmpp.org site, it says one thing, on the other hand http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/XMPP_Summit10 says another thing about who is participating.

+1 for the subject for the devroom. There are still many folks out there that is afraid about xmpp, because of the setup. Lets bring in some talks about simple setup for HTML/JS developers. I would also gladly help or supply a small talk after this one or together with Tuomas.

Maybe we could start out with a "Howto setup xmpp for web developers.." and after that focus on the different applications that XMPP could provide for giving a real-time web experience. I am thinking of starting with a simple chat, and then move on to a pub/sub environment.

A talk about external components could also be nice. I was thinking about a talk that provides what kind of environment and applications the components could be used and what kind of libraries that are out there. In extension to this talk I think it would be cool to pick up a few of these libraries and see examples on how to develop in these. I was in particularly thinking of: exmpp, whack and xmpp.js (node), in which I have personal experience of.
This would provide an environment both for a backend developer and a front-end developer that is used to developing in JavaScript.

-Cheers and merry X-mas too from Copenhagen!

/Steffen