[Summit] Things I learnt this week

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Feb 9 15:07:27 CST 2010

On Tue Feb  9 20:21:25 2010, Matthew Wild wrote:
> I decided I should share a collection of things I've learnt over the
> past 4 days.

Nice plan.

>  * Free wifi doesn't necessarily mean free wifi [need to fix that
> for
> next year (or as Edwin suggested... go for no wifi at all -
> something
> I personally wouldn't mind if I knew in advance)].

No wifi would be fine if we don't hole up in a faraday cage buried
two stories down.

>  * Nokia N900s are shiny.

No. n900's are *very* shiny. And Nokia are cruel people, teasing us
with the shiny toys. Florian is hereby ordered to create some kind of
shiny-toy-war twixt Google, Nokia, and - if needs be - Apple, to
ensure we get to keep such things next time.

>  * Kevin has no sense of direction (especially when holding an
> N900).

Kev is also willing to sacrifice all evenings, and indeed most of
FOSDEM, to tinker with the Shiny Thing, even when he's not able to
enter the competition.

(While getting from St Pancras back to our cars, we saw a n900 advert
on the tube. We almost cried.)

>  * The hackfest on Friday was good, but perhaps a bit segregated.
> (Do
> we want/need more direction next time?)

The problem was in no small part the breakouts - it's *great* to have
all the little spontaneous talks, but I missed out entirely on the
mobile discussion, by getting embroiled in other side discussions
(which were interesting, and all, but...)

>  * Tomato salads in Belgium can consist of only tomatoes.

L'Altro Mundo does the best Italian food in Brussels, and is actually
cheaper than the Buger King in the Leigh Delamare services on the M4.

>  * The Jingle Nodes project is something I can't wait until we have
> some specs published for so we can discuss them.
>  * Belgian taxi drivers can't read maps, book a hotel they know
> about or walk.

Neither Kev nor Dave are terribly safe drivers if they attempt
driving after FOSDEM all the way down the M4.

>  * Vodafone have been working on a *really* nice XMPP-based
> federated
> social network: http://onesocialweb.org/
>  * Swift really does exist.
>  * Having the summit not collide with FOSDEM (as it has previous
> years) is a Good Thing.
>  * Next year we should also look for getting some video recording
> (and
> if we're feeling ambitious - streaming) going on at FOSDEM and the
> summit.
>
> Nice to meet everyone again, many thanks to all who helped organise
> and sponsor the dinner and the technology, and helped make this the
> best summit so far!

Absolutely - just a shame I could meet and chat to everyone, but it's
awesome to see so many new faces, and new ideas, as well as the
stalwarts of the community all gathered together.

> Now, did anyone else learn something I missed? :)

Yup.

* Seeing demos of new projects and XMPPisms aimed at the community is
ace.
* We need a more interesting stand. Possibly involving Jack's Wall Of
(MySpace) Porn on a projector.
* T-Shirts should be black. Not pale murk.
* Everyone at FOSDEM uses XMPP, but not everyone knew it. People
seemed genuinely interested to find out they were.
* Next time Nokia offer to lend us toys, we should flee the country
with them and give false names.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/