[Summit] Things I learnt this week

Edwin Mons jsf at edwinm.ik.nu
Tue Feb 9 15:11:51 CST 2010

Op 9 feb 2010, om 21:21 heeft Matthew Wild het volgende geschreven:

> I decided I should share a collection of things I've learnt over the
> past 4 days.
>
> * Free wifi doesn't necessarily mean free wifi [need to fix that for
> next year (or as Edwin suggested... go for no wifi at all - something
> I personally wouldn't mind if I knew in advance)].

Let me clarify this point before you all start to shout at me.  The wifi/internet needs to be either working and really good, or not there at all.  If it's in between, like this year, people are constantly trying to get it to work to access the b^Hsummit MUC, the XEPs, etc., wasting a lot of energy that could be focused on the actual summit or hackfest.

> * Nokia N900s are shiny.

Very, and it was sad that they were taken away without even a way to get them with a discount if we wanted to...

> * Kevin has no sense of direction (especially when holding an N900).

So shiny thing doesn't make everything better?

> * The hackfest on Friday was good, but perhaps a bit segregated. (Do
> we want/need more direction next time?)
> * Tomato salads in Belgium can consist of only tomatoes.
> * The Jingle Nodes project is something I can't wait until we have
> some specs published for so we can discuss them.
> * Belgian taxi drivers can't read maps, book a hotel they know about or walk.
> * Vodafone have been working on a *really* nice XMPP-based federated
> social network: http://onesocialweb.org/
> * Swift really does exist.
> * Having the summit not collide with FOSDEM (as it has previous
> years) is a Good Thing.
> * Next year we should also look for getting some video recording (and
> if we're feeling ambitious - streaming) going on at FOSDEM and the
> summit.
>
> Nice to meet everyone again, many thanks to all who helped organise
> and sponsor the dinner and the technology, and helped make this the
> best summit so far!
>
> Now, did anyone else learn something I missed? :)

The T-shirts, they should be somewhat more attractive next year...  Grey didn't really attract a lot of people: a lot of sales were due to shiny toys displaying Jingle calls (although I don't think the latter was the primary attractive bit to a lot of the visitors...)

Groetjes,
Edwin