[Summit] Things I learnt this week

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Feb 10 10:02:01 CST 2010

On 2/9/10 1:21 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:

>  * Free wifi doesn't necessarily mean free wifi [need to fix that for
> next year (or as Edwin suggested... go for no wifi at all - something
> I personally wouldn't mind if I knew in advance)].

We definitely will make sure that doesn't happen again. The solution
might involve meeting at a corporate conference room (e.g., Cisco has
some nice offices in Belgium) but those are unlikely to be right in the
center of town. There are tradeoffs with everything.

>  * The hackfest on Friday was good, but perhaps a bit segregated. (Do
> we want/need more direction next time?)

I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened. Report?

>  * The Jingle Nodes project is something I can't wait until we have
> some specs published for so we can discuss them.

Soon.

> Now, did anyone else learn something I missed? :)

* The companies who sponsor our events are really cool.
* Florian Jensen rocks. But we already knew that.
* We'll need to find a larger place for dinner, or limit attendance.
* The hired coach was a big improvement over public transport.
* We might want to include lunch in the Summit to save precious time.
* Hotel meeting rooms leave much to be desired (cf. internet access).
* Don't try to fly through Dulles airport. It's cursed.
* The Cisco travel office is great at last-minute re-bookings.
* Was it just me, or were the ribs not quite as good this year?