[Summit] Things I learnt this week

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:52:20 CST 2010

On 10 February 2010 16:02, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 2/9/10 1:21 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:
>
>>  * Free wifi doesn't necessarily mean free wifi [need to fix that for
>> next year (or as Edwin suggested... go for no wifi at all - something
>> I personally wouldn't mind if I knew in advance)].
>
> We definitely will make sure that doesn't happen again. The solution
> might involve meeting at a corporate conference room (e.g., Cisco has
> some nice offices in Belgium) but those are unlikely to be right in the
> center of town. There are tradeoffs with everything.
>
>>  * The hackfest on Friday was good, but perhaps a bit segregated. (Do
>> we want/need more direction next time?)
>
> I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened. Report?

Well that's precisely the issue... I was there, and I have no clue
what happened :)

I personally worked on Prosody, and helped a couple of other people
doing the same. I'm working on a blog post about what we achieved for
publication soon. I think everyone else was doing their own thing too,
though there were some interesting discussions and talks.

Perhaps it happened just the way people wanted, but I'm just throwing
up the suggestion that next time we have some goals for different
things to collaborate on and make the most of being together in one
room for a change. I guess the real issue is probably that you weren't
there to organise us, Peter :)

>>  * The Jingle Nodes project is something I can't wait until we have
>> some specs published for so we can discuss them.
>
> Soon.
>
>> Now, did anyone else learn something I missed? :)
>
> * The companies who sponsor our events are really cool.
> * Florian Jensen rocks. But we already knew that.
> * We'll need to find a larger place for dinner, or limit attendance.
> * The hired coach was a big improvement over public transport.
> * We might want to include lunch in the Summit to save precious time.
> * Hotel meeting rooms leave much to be desired (cf. internet access).

+1 to all of the above.

> * Don't try to fly through Dulles airport. It's cursed.
> * The Cisco travel office is great at last-minute re-bookings.
> * Was it just me, or were the ribs not quite as good this year?

But I can't comment on these 3 :)

Matthew