[Summit] Tigase and version attribute on stream element..

Steffen Larsen zooldk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:06:17 CST 2010

Hi All!,

During our summit here monday and tuesday, we came across some obstacles with Tigase and its way to make S2S  stream headers. It was missing the version attribute on the stream element (see http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/XMPP_Summit_Interop).

Joe and me took up the challenge and made a small patch for the given source code. It compiled fine but we did not try it, because we were missing out the key man that was doing the XCP connections to it.. :-)
Because it was apparently XCP that was enforcing the version attribute (correct me if I am wrong).

So yesterday I wanted submit the patch to Artur, this guy that is working on Tigase. But before I submitted it, I just took a quick glaze at the CORE doc of xmpp (http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3920.html).

It seem like that the version attribute is only a optional attribute according to our XSD (see appendix C, http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3920.html#def). But in section 4.4 (Stream Attributes), it more or less states that the field is mandatory, even though it says nothing like SHOULD,  MUST or anything. So am I missing out something, or is the core specification misleading in this situation?
Most people at the summit thought that the attribute was mandatory, but it seems not.

Can any body enlighten me? :-)

-Cheers and thanks for a nice XMPP summit!

/Steffen