[Summit] Tigase and version attribute on stream element..

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Jul 22 18:50:25 CST 2010

On 7/22/10 12:28 PM, Steffen Larsen wrote:

> Sorry for the top posting, but I'm in a hurry here at OSCON..
>
> Sounds reasonable both what Kevin and Matt said, I've just read that
> part of the specs too. :-) But then shouldn't we change our XSD to
> have the version attribute to be mandatory then?. Or do we still wish
> to keep it because of backward capabilities? Personally I think we
> should make it mandatory, if we want to do a proper standard and
> every server (s2s) should be 3920 compliant for calling them selves
> XMPP servers. :-) Sorry but I just find the different statements in
> the core spec confusing in this area. Section 4.4.1 its a bit
> contradicting.

1. Older "XMPP 0.9" entities do not include the 'version' attribute.
Perhaps we don't care about them anymore, but rejecting a connection
attempt because the stream header lacks a 'version' attribute seems
unnecessarily strict to me.

2. The schemas are informational, not normative. You are free to make
your own, stricter schemas. :)