[Summit] getting organized

bear bear42 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:31:40 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 17:49, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> On Mon Jun 21 17:39:46 2010, bear wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 09:58, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>> > So, for some reason I only see Bear's mails on this.
>> >

> Discovered why - this mailing list is inserting a "Mime-version" header -
> which is fine, but it hasn't noticed Thunderbird 3's "MIME-Version" header
> is already there. Spam filters eat it - I've put a fix in place for me,
> found the missing messages in my quarantine, and read 'em, but probably
> missed things.
>
>> Having some certs handy and a CA would be perfect, even if only remote
>> - that is the kind of thing that will cause interop testing to grind
>> to a very slow pace as everyone suddenly realizes what is needed.
>>

> No problem, I'll commit (on behalf of Isode) to having at minimum two
> (private, closed, temporary) CAs setup. We'll be able to issue certificates
> based on PKCS#10 CSRs, or else just create a PKCS#12 anew (which is insecure
> for obvious reasons, but fine for interop).
>
> We can generate various forms of SubjectAltName, including sRVName,
> xmppAddr, and dNSName, and we can have "traditional" SubjectNames (ie,
> hostname as CN) as well as following the strict X.500 spec on those.
>
> It's very much harder to generate things like expired certificates, but I'll
> ask the X.509 team at Isode about that, and other interesting failure cases
> we might want to test.
>
> If we have presence at the event, the CAs will probably be at the event,
> otherwise we'll run them remotely. (Probably me).

that would be very welcome indeed - ok, so we have one confirmed area
for interop

>> I understand completely what you are getting at - heck, I wouldn't
>> have liked being treated that way at first.  I think what I am
>> worrying about is that if we try to mix interop and the tutorial then
>> one of the other suffers.  If we are planning on a tutorial then we
>> need to identify the one or two people that will handle that and get
>> Peter's slide deck updated.
>
> My experience with interop events is that implementors "pair-off" to tests a
> client against a server (or whatever), before swapping about, and there's
> often a queue for one particular implementation, as client developers wait
> their turn to test, etc. Other times, there's a sudden involvement of nearly
> everyone when someone discovers a new bug and everyone else sees whether
> they have it too (or trigger it).
>
> So I'd expect that it wouldn't actually disrupt things much if people wanted
> to step away for a minute or two and have a look at some showcase - the
> tutorials won't suffer, unless the tutorials are either very long, or very
> inolved - I don't think they need to be either, I'd rather concentrate on
> giving an overview of the technology and terminology, and describe how the
> XSF works, and then move onto Shiny Things.

hmm, then interops are a bit different here than I have been exposed
to - but that's ok :)

so then we should be able to have an interop coordination session of
about 1/2 hour and then let them go off and do their thing while the
xmpp intro session starts as the main event.

works for me

> I can heartily recommend that - if there's Nokians/Collaborans in attendence
> - making a Jingle call with a couple of n900's is quite good for wow-factor,
> still. Even better if someone wants to send me a handset here. ;-)

>> > This is good, and I'd be keen to get that done too. We can actually get
>> > lot of that done on the same day as the above, since much of it will be
>> > case of setting things up and then making sure it all works.
>> >
>> > I'd note that we need some hardware at the venue to make this portion a
>> > success, in particular, we'll probably need a network switch and
>> > cabling,
>> > since we're always short on networking.
>>
>> I can have that equipment available.
>>

> Brilliant. It might be useful to have a laptop setup with DHCP, DNS, etc
> just in case. It'll probably be useful to have a local IPv6 setup, actually,
> if you can. Even better if you can tunnel it out to the Internet - then
> remote IPv6 sites can still do interop.
>
> Alternately, if you can have a VPN/gateway you can setup an accessible, but
> private, network for testing - that might work out better, assuming we can
> test the VPN stuff works beforehand.

I should be able to have that setup - I'll know more as I get closer
to the event.

I will also be bringing my evdo thingy so we can have some isolated
network access and are not hampered by the show wireless.