[Summit] [jdev] Fwd: Brussels discussion topics

Simon Tennant simon at buddycloud.com
Tue Jan 10 08:25:05 UTC 2012

There's a huge amount of innovation happening in the web application space.
Developers are now writing javascript applications for browsers.

These developers unfortunately see XMPP as complicated and difficult to
integrate into their project. Whether this is right or wrong, it's a case
of their perception is the reality and we see few web projects that use
XMPP for messaging.

To become more relevant to this big chunk of developer activity I would
like to see the XMPP Standards Foundation looking more at web technologies
and what XMPP can bring the HTTP-land.

How we can work to make XMPP relevant to a larger audience of developers? I
do realize this is a summit and it's good to have a bunch of people in a
room to hash out the details of dMUC for example, we also risk having a
perfect protocol suite but becoming inaccessible to a generation that has
grown up building delivering applications over the web. At the same time we
have a bunch of great solutions that can really help web developers such as
end to end security, built in federation and a "friend list"

Two questions I'd like us to be trying to answer during the summit:
- how do we make it easier for a web developer to quickly start using XMPP
(reduce the "XMPP is too complicated" problem)?
- what changes do we need to make to XMPP to make it work better on
applications delivered over the web?

I'd be happy to help plan and run this session if anyone is interested.

S.
simon at buddycloud.com
+49 17 8545 0880

On 9 January 2012 21:18, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> What technical topics would folks like to discuss at the XMPP Summit
> next month? Here are some possibilities:
>
> * internationalization (rfc6122bis)
> * end-to-end encryption (rfc3923bis)
> * cryptographic hash agility (XEP-0300)
> * message carbons (XEP-0280)
> * Jingle file transfer (XEP-0234)
> * vCard4 (XEP-0292)
> * fast reconnect (XEP-0305)
> * message forwarding (XEP-0297)
> * real-time text (XEP-0301)
> * distributed chatrooms
>
> I've added those here:
>
> http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summit_11
>
> Feel free to bring up other topics here or on the wiki so that we can
> formulate an agenda. Lightning-style or longer talks are also welcome on
> Friday February 3rd or Monday February 6th. And we are still looking to
> fill out the devroom schedule on Saturday at FOSDEM:
>
> http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/FOSDEM_2012
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Saint-Andre