[Summit] I'd like to discuss about "Event Visualization" in the next XMPP Summit #11

HIro Suzuki hiro.suzuki at d3communications.jp
Fri Jan 13 06:39:48 UTC 2012

 Hello XMPP Communities,

 I'm very interested in realtime services by using XMPP protocol
suits, and recently I designed a sort of "Caregiving System" for elder
people by using mainly PEP (xep-0163).  Now Japan is rapidly becoming
an aging society.  So, local governments like city has big issues to
assist or care elder people's daily life.

 In this design process, I have 2 isuues, 1) Event Aggregation, 2)
Event Visualization, if you OK, I'd like to talk about this issues and
my current solution in the next XMPP Summit.

---
Abstruct of 2 Issues in Event Signaling

 This "Caregiving System" is a sort of "wide area nurse call system",
or "soft emaergency call system".  As a prototype, residential
terminal will be set in handreds of house at where only 1 elder person
lives, and when he or she wants care, he or she push a button on
residential terminal.  And this residential terminal has a heat sensor
and a smoke sensor to detect a fire, and a gas sensor to detect a gas
leak.  If residential terminal signals some events, events are sent to
call center of the city, and on a terminal in the call center, the
termial displays notification based on events and some usefull
informations (address, map, cantact list, past illnesses...).

 In this design process, I have some opinions about "event
aggregation" and "event visualization" in "PubSub" and "PEP"
specification.

* Event Aggregation

 In this system, when residentail terminal signals event, signaling
event has only basic informations, as example, terminal id, event
time, event source. (Because simple function is desireble to keep
cheap cost, and informations from residential side is often
insufficent or incorrect, so event gathering/aggregation side needs
some information processingg function. "Collection" of PubSub
specification is now lack of this information processing function.

* Event Visualization

 I think any events should have essential visual symbol, so when event
is notified, preset visual symbol should be displayed on the terminal.
And when event has some parameters, the client terminal to recieve
notification should have processing function to visualize event
parameters.

 I'm very interested in recent standardization activity of IETF
RTCWeb/W3C WebRTC WGs, above issues, especially "Event Visualization"
may be involved.  Now, in RTCWeb/WebRTC WGs documents, they are
focusing symmetric model only (in "Overview" document of RTCWeb:
draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-02, following "Browser RTC Trapezoid" model
is written, this trapezoid model is symmetric).  In order to realize
"Event Visualization", I think it is necessay to discuss asymmetric
model (one side has browser to visualize event, and other side has
only signaling funaction without browser).

---

               +-----------+             +-----------+
               |   Web     |             |   Web     |
               |           |  Signalling |           |
               |           |-------------|           |
               |  Server   |   path      |  Server   |
               |           |             |           |
               +-----------+             +-----------+
                    /                           \
                   /                             \   Proprietary over
                  /                               \  HTTP/Websockets
                 /                                 \
                /  Proprietary over                 \
               /   HTTP/Websockets                   \
              /                                       \
        +-----------+                           +-----------+
        |JS/HTML/CSS|                           |JS/HTML/CSS|
        +-----------+                           +-----------+
        +-----------+                           +-----------+
        |           |                           |           |
        |           |                           |           |
        |  Browser  | ------------------------- |  Browser  |
        |           |          Media path       |           |
        |           |                           |           |

                     Figure 2: Browser RTC Trapezoid
---

 Just for information, I attached one picture of "Overview of 'Caregiver
System'" in this mail.  And now, I started to prepare presentation
materials. So it's my pleasure, if you give me a chance to discuss with
you.

Best Regards,
Yoshihihro Suzuki
(hiro.suzuki at d3communications.jp)