[Summit] XMPP service discovery in the webinos project

Klos, V.B. (Victor) victor.klos at tno.nl
Fri Jan 13 12:13:22 UTC 2012

dear all,

my name is Victor Klos and I work for TNO, a research institute in the Netherlands. As TNO we are participating in webinos (http://www.webinos.org/), a EU-funded research project and affiliate program. The goal of the webinos project is to define and deliver an Open Source Platform and software components for the Future Internet in the form of web runtime extensions. Think of enabling web applications and services to be used and shared consistently and securely over a broad spectrum of converged and connected devices, including mobile, PC, home media (TV) and in-car units. In other words, functionality and attributes of all your devices (e.g. storage, location, camera etc) and devices of your close friends would become securely available through javascript APIs in web pages and widgets.

We built a demo - based on XMPP and XEP 115 - that focuses on service discovery. During the summit, we would like to:
1) present the demo
2) engage in a discussion on what we call 'massive service discovery'
Regarding the second point, we are investigating mechanisms to discover and query available services (1000s?) for hundreds of devices,  without flooding the network. In addition, this discovery should be enhanced to also include parameters, e.g. based on location. On this - and possibly other - subjects we would love the insights of the XMPP community.

Comments and feedback welcome.

With kind regards,
Victor

PS I am available directly at mailto:victor.klos at tno.nl