[Summit] Demonstration slot @ XMPP Summit 11

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Jan 13 16:45:15 UTC 2012

On Fri Jan 13 10:44:00 2012, Peter Waher wrote:
> If there's a slot available, we'd like to hold a presentation of
> ourselves and the work we do together with companies like Cisco
> Germany in the field of sensor networking and IoT (Internet of
> Things), as well as a presentation of what we have done and our
> aims/goals in the field of XMPP, as related to:

Before I begin, I may have completely misunderstood, and if your
output is all open-source then most of this won't apply to you.

My only concern with demos is that we are at FOSDEM, and as such the
demos need to concentrate on the technical use of XMPP rather than
the companies using it, and really involve open-source as much as
possible.

I'm pretty sure that the FOSDEM organizers understand that XMPP is
not exclusively open-source, but we need to ensure that the balance
is very much skewed that way, and we need to ensure that we're being
very technically focussed.

I do sympathize - I'd really love to discuss all the funky stuff that
Isode is doing in the XMPP space - at least, the things I can talk
about - but the nature of FOSDEM is hugely limiting for projects and
companies that are not (very) open-source - this is no fault of
FOSDEM, it's simply that FOSDEM is for Free/Open-Source software, and
we need to respect that and keep aligned with it as much as is
feasable.

So I (with my Isode hat on), like you, will be looking to figure out
a demo which downplays the closed-source bits, and concentrates on
the open-standards and/or open-source parts of what we do. (My talk
has nothing at all to do with Isode, in fact).

Given that the Interop day (on Friday) seems to be going slow, we
could have some less constrained talks about what attendees are
doing, if there's interest (in listening as well as talking, of
course).

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/