[Summit] Devroom Talk Proposal: "Realtime Communication & Collaboration in Widget-based Personal Learning Environments" (Dominik Renzel)

Dominik Renzel renzel at dbis.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jan 13 16:48:11 UTC 2012

Dear all,

my name is Dominik Renzel, and I am working as researcher at the Chair of Databases&  Information Systems at RWTH Aachen University in Germany (http://dbis.rwth-aachen.de  <http://dbis.rwth-aachen.de/cms>). I was greatly inspired by the devroom talks of last year and would like to actively contribute to the discussion this year. My current work is focussed on bringing multiple forms of real-time communication and collaboration into the world of browser-based personal learning environments in the context of the EU-funded large scale integrating project ROLE (Responsive Open Learning Environments;http://www.role-project.eu/). Recently, we received great interest for our work regarding interwidget communication over XMPP from the incubating Apache Rave (http://incubator.apache.org/rave/) project, and perhaps our results could also be interesting for an XMPP audience.

Please find an abstract of a possible talk below. I would greatly appreciate to become part of the devroom, this time as a presenter.

Best regards,

	Dominik

(Contact details are available from my staff pagehttp://dbis.rwth-aachen.de/cms/staff/renzel)

---

Title: Realtime Communication&  Collaboration in Widget-based Personal Learning Environments

Abstract: In the domain of Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL) a current research focus is on widget-based personal learning environments (PLE). Learners mash-up their favorite Web widgets to complete learning applications running in regular Web browsers. Furthermore, learners socialize, communicate or even collaborate with their peers using real-time technologies. In the context of the EU-financed large-scale Open Source project ROLE (Responsive Open Learning Environments;http://role-project.eu;http://sourceforge.net/projects/role-project/), we employ XMPP in combination with recent Web technologies (e.g. XMPP over WebSocket) on a wide basis to realize communication and collaboration use cases within such browser-based PLE. Beneath the usage of regular features such as roster lists, online presence, IM and MUC we developed a framework for Interwidget Communication (IWC) based on HTML5 Web Messaging (local) and XMPP PubSub (remote) and using a payload format inspired by Google
Android Intents. This framework can optionally be enhanced with trust-awareness features. In this talk we present the results of our work with a focus on remote interwidget communication and report on our experiences with XMPP over BOSH/WebSocket.