[Summit] devroom speakers take note!!!

Michiel de Jong michiel at unhosted.org
Tue Jan 17 06:13:17 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> If we've added your talk to the devroom schedule, please provide the
> following information AS SOON AS POSSIBLE but no later than by Friday,
> January 20.
>
> (For background about this request, please see [1].)
>
> REQUIRED INFORMATION
>
> - Personal Name *and* Family Name ("goffi" and "dodo" are not enough!)

Michiel de Jong

> - Short Bio (what software projects you've worked on, etc.)

Michiel de Jong has worked as tech support, researcher, sysadmin and
programmer in the areas of hosting, artificial intelligence and
scalability. Last year, he quit his job and moved, with his laptop, to a
tropical island, with the goal of writing free software to fight the web's
monopolies. Since that day, he has been living the dream of full-time
freedom hacker, thanks to kind donations from followers of the Unhosted
project.

> - Talk Title (I've created some of these, please check)

User address ownership

> - Talk Abstract (one line only)

Why Webfinger is so important, why BrowserId is so important, and how to
combine the two.

> - Talk Description (slightly longer description)

The federated social web needs to be a tool-agnostic web. A user should be
able to interact with other users, regardless of whether the other user is
using xmpp-based tools, or OStatus-based tools, even SMTP, and maybe even
SMS. But there is one central corner stone of socializing: user addresses.
These can be email addresses, jabber id's, or webfinger account URIs.
In this talk I'll discuss some of the challenges of enabling people to own
their user address. In particular, I will discuss our experiences in both
the LibreDocs project and the Opentabs project, about why Webfinger is so
important, why BrowserId is so important, and how to combine the two.

> OPTIONAL INFORMATION
>
> - Image (128x128, preferrably PNG)

attached (i hope the size is ok)

http://unhosted.org/