[Summit] XMPP DevRoom Presentation Title

Dominik Renzel renzel at dbis.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jan 20 13:04:48 UTC 2012

Hi all,

here my required details - sent them to earlier to Peter's address,
sorry for that. If there is still a need for demos, I could show some
live demo of the stuff I present in my talk.

Required information below.

Best regards,

     Dominik

--

REQUIRED INFORMATION

- Personal Name *and* Family Name

Dominik Renzel

- Short Bio (what software projects you've worked on, etc.)

Dominik is working as a research assistant and PhD student at the Chair
of Computer Science 5 (Information Systems & Databases) at RWTH Aachen
University since March 2009. He is currently working on the EU-funded
large scale integrating (Open Source) project ROLE (Responsive Open
Learning Environments; role-project.eu) with a focus on bringing
different forms of XMPP-based real-time communication & collaboration
features into the world of widget-based personal learning environments.

- Talk Title

Interwidget Communication with XMPP

- Talk Abstract (one line only)

How to use a combination of XMPP PubSub and MUC to have Web widgets
communicate with each other on the example of Personal Learning Environments

- Talk Description (slightly longer description)

In the domain of Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL) a current research
focus is on widget-based personal learning environments (PLE). Learners
mash-up their favorite Web widgets to complete learning applications
running in any Web browsers. Furthermore, learners socialize,
communicate or even collaborate with their peers using real-time
technologies. In the context of the EU large-scale integrating Open
Source project ROLE (Responsive Open Learning Environments;
http://role-project.eu; http://sourceforge.net/projects/role-project/),
we employ XMPP in combination with recent Web technologies (e.g. XMPP
over WebSocket) on a wide basis to realize communication and
collaboration use cases within such browser-based PLE. Beneath the usage
of regular features such as roster lists, online presence, IM and MUC we
developed a framework for Interwidget Communication (IWC) based HTML5
Web Messaging (local) and XMPP PubSub (remote) as well as a payload
format inspired by Google Android Intents. Developers can thus design
their widgets to communicate with each other even across multiple users
and browsers. This framework can optionally be enhanced with
trust-awareness features. In this talk we present the results of our
work with a focus on remote interwidget communication and report on our
experiences with XMPP over BOSH/WebSocket.

OPTIONAL INFORMATION

- Image (128x128, preferrably PNG)

see attachment

- Link (blog, website, etc.)