[Summit] devroom speakers take note!!!

Gunnar Hellström gunnar.hellstrom at omnitor.se
Fri Jan 20 22:12:49 UTC 2012

- Personal Name*and*  Family Name ("goffi" and "dodo" are not enough!)
Gunnar Hellström

- Short Bio (what software projects you've worked on, etc.)

Accessibility solution developer and standardiser, worked with Total Conversation and Real-time text standards and implementations in many environments, e.g. SIP and RTP payloads in IETF, TipCon1, Asterisk, XEP-0301. Founder of Omnitor, accessibility niche company in Sweden.

- Talk Title (I've created some of these, please check)
Real-Time Text for Smooth and Rapid Communication

- Talk Abstract (one line only)
Motivations for real-time text in XMPP, the seamless addition of the feature, the protocol in XEP-0301, and its use.

- Talk Description (slightly longer description)
     The presentation describes the functionality of real-time text added
     to the XMPP environment by draft extension XEP-0301.
     By application to both sending and receiving XMPP clients, a more
     fluent conversation by text is achieved, where text is displayed at
     the far end at the rate it is typed by the transmitting party.
     This reduces stress and waiting time in intensive text communication
     situations.
     The extension can be seamlessly applied, so that if it is not
     supported by both ends, the functionality is as plain message based
     XMPP. Therefore introduction can be made gradually.
     In order to not overload servers and networks, the trasmission
     itervals can be kept long, and instead the real-time impression get
     recreated by a feature called "Natural Typing".
     Opportunities for interoperability with real-time text in other
     environments will be explained, and indications given for easy
     integration in other XMPP implementations.
     Demonstrations will be made of the RealJabber client, implementing
     the draft as an open source project, managed by the author of the
     XEP-0301 draft, Mark Rejhon.
     It is with the experience, need and interest from people with
     communications related disabilities that this extension is
     developed, but it has apparent benefits for all.

  OPTIONAL INFORMATION

- Image (128x128, preferrably PNG)

Attached

- Link (blog, website, etc.)