[Summit] [BOSH] BOSH discussion at Summit 12

Jack Moffitt jack at metajack.im
Tue Oct 9 12:51:22 UTC 2012

> Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Portland for Summit 12,
> but I think it would be very good to discuss BOSH. So maybe it would
> be possible for me to participate in the discussion by some kind of
> tele-presence?

We can patch you in via Google Hangouts or some other such system
pretty easily I imagine. Is there a schedule some where so that others
can participate this way as well?

> Issues in the current protocol. A starting point for that is the list
> at: http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/BoshIssues (though that list needs some
> TLC from me). If we can identify the most important issues on there
> and a direction to fix them, then already much work is done.

Thanks for mentioning this list. It makes a good initial agenda :)

> Long term, the future of BOSH. In at summit 11 in Brussels the opinion
> was vented to abandon BOSH asap in favor of websockets. Though I think
> websockets should be superior to BOSH, I believe we are far from the
> point where we can switch to websockets. One of the reasons is beacuse
> the current extension for XMPP over websockets needs some serious
> polishing up, it is not adapted to the latest changes in the websocket
> protocol. So I think it would be good to take a moment time to think
> about our long term strategy and to look at who is able and willing to
> take on some of the tasks that inevitable come out of that.

I think the websockets-only path would assume the same API in browser,
but the implementation would fall back to long polling. This is
probably not going to be as good as BOSH, so I think it probably makes
sense to keep BOSH since it's already widely implemented. People will
gradually quit using it as websockets deployment grows.

As for the XMPP over websockets spec being unpolished, I'm happy to
take suggestions. As far as I know it's current with the websockets
spec. Perhaps you are referring to the existing implementations and
not the internet draft?

jack.