[Summit] [BOSH] BOSH discussion at Summit 12

Winfried Tilanus winfried at tilanus.com
Fri Oct 19 19:14:44 UTC 2012

> On 10/18/12 8:27 PM, Jack Moffitt wrote:
>>> Winfried and all, could you please suggest specfic topics for the BOSH
>>> discussion? I'd like to make sure we cover what's important. So far I
>>> have BOSH vs. WebSocket (performance, migration, etc.), comments on the
>>> Internet-Draft [1], and fallback scenarios. What else?
>>
>> The main one in my opinion is to discuss what to do about keeping
>> state across tabs and page loads. I'm not sure Shared-Bosh is the
>> solution, but this is the #1 problem from Strophe.js users.
>
> Oh yeah, that's critical.

Yes: IMHO the most important topics are:
- Keeping states across tabs
- Websockets

Looking at the Bosh issue list,
http://wiki.xmpp.org:12480/web/BoshIssues , I see 4 other issues that
would be good to discuss:
- Format of 'accept' value in session creation response
- Re-requesting RIDs
- BOSH HTTPS port
- HTTP-layer authentication and XMPP-layer authentication

Then there are 4 issues on the list that were brought up in the past but
not discussed very well. It is my judgement we should take no action on
these, but I don't want to discard them without any discussion. They
might be discussed at the summit (and if my judgement is right, it can
be done in a quarter of an hour), but they have no priority for me:
- 'Content-Type' HTTP Header
- 'Date' HTTP Header
- Session Creation Attributes Too Optional
- Stream Creation: missing <stream:features/>

Winfried