[Summit] Possible to attend the Summit?

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Jan 25 18:45:18 UTC 2017

On 25.01.2017 19:16, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> sorry if this is off topic but I need some advice.
> I’m the founder of ownCloud and nowadays Nextcloud. We are building a fully open source file sync and share solution and adding federated communication features at the moment. So additionally to Email, Comments, Social and Video/Voice via WebRTC we want to use XMPP for federated chat between instances.

Thanks for (own|Next)cloud!

> The idea is that everyone can install and run a Nextcloud instance as easy as possible. The goal is that it can be deployed at every webserver/webspace that supports PHP.
This works fine for all features we do but we are struggling a bit how
to do this with XMPP and PHP.

What's wrong with using an existing XMPP server like prosody, ejabberd
or Tigase and having Nextcloud simply act as authentication provider?
AFAIK all three (and most others) XMPP servers allow pluggable
authentication mechanism. I'm not sure if there exists any XMPP server
implementation written in PHP, and I would not recommend developing one
from scratch.

I've talked at FOSDEM 2014 with some people from the Diaspora booth
about XMPP. And shortly after that, Diaspora started to work on adding
XMPP support (not saying that it was me causing it ;)). IIRC they
started by using an existing XMPP server written in Ruby (most likely
because Diaspora is written in Ruby), which was missing some important
features like Stream Management and Carbons. But eventually they
switched to prosody, which appears to me as a sound and good choice.
Maybe you should get in touch with them and ask about their experience.

Guess the gist is: Instead trying to bring an XMPP server into your
platform, simply hook into an existing XMPP server implementation.

> Would it be possible to attend the summit and have a bit of brainstorming with you guys to see what we can do here?

I hope so, but I've nothing to say in this regard. But even if not,
there is also FOSDEM :)

- Florian