[Summit] Possible to attend the Summit?

Frank Karlitschek frank at nextcloud.com
Thu Jan 26 10:04:08 UTC 2017

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 19:45, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
>
> On 25.01.2017 19:16, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> sorry if this is off topic but I need some advice.
>> I’m the founder of ownCloud and nowadays Nextcloud. We are building a fully open source file sync and share solution and adding federated communication features at the moment. So additionally to Email, Comments, Social and Video/Voice via WebRTC we want to use XMPP for federated chat between instances.
>
> Thanks for (own|Next)cloud!

Thanks. I will pass it on to the rest of the team :-)

>> The idea is that everyone can install and run a Nextcloud instance as easy as possible. The goal is that it can be deployed at every webserver/webspace that supports PHP.
> This works fine for all features we do but we are struggling a bit how
> to do this with XMPP and PHP.
>
> What's wrong with using an existing XMPP server like prosody, ejabberd
> or Tigase and having Nextcloud simply act as authentication provider?
> AFAIK all three (and most others) XMPP servers allow pluggable
> authentication mechanism. I'm not sure if there exists any XMPP server
> implementation written in PHP, and I would not recommend developing one
> from scratch.

Using an existing XMPP server is obviously the best solution. Especially for bigger instances.
This already works today as an option if the admin has the necessary knowledge, experience and infrastructure.

But we want to use XMPP more extensively in the future. For this it is important that every user has an XMPP account. So we need a way to bundle a chat server with Nextcloud written in PHP. This obviously only works for small instances. But this is fine because bigger once can use a ‘real’ standalone server.

> I've talked at FOSDEM 2014 with some people from the Diaspora booth
> about XMPP. And shortly after that, Diaspora started to work on adding
> XMPP support (not saying that it was me causing it ;)). IIRC they
> started by using an existing XMPP server written in Ruby (most likely
> because Diaspora is written in Ruby), which was missing some important
> features like Stream Management and Carbons. But eventually they
> switched to prosody, which appears to me as a sound and good choice.
> Maybe you should get in touch with them and ask about their experience.
>
> Guess the gist is: Instead trying to bring an XMPP server into your
> platform, simply hook into an existing XMPP server implementation.

Sure. This is already possible today. We have an XMPP client in the web interface. But this only works for 10% of our users where the admin manually configured an additional XMPP server.
We would like to have a solution for everyone.
Only then we can rely on XMPP for more usecases.

>> Would it be possible to attend the summit and have a bit of brainstorming with you guys to see what we can do here?
>
> I hope so, but I've nothing to say in this regard. But even if not,
> there is also FOSDEM :)

Cool. I’m at FOSDEM too. :-)

Frank