[Summit] Summit and FOSDEM post-mortem

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Feb 6 09:04:11 UTC 2018

On 5 February 2018 at 21:38, Severino <seve at openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Hello Guus!
>
> I see what you did there :D
>
> I had an awesoooome time, not disappointed at all. I'm really happy to meet
> you all, and also I'm very thankful for the organization and the sponsorship
> we had.

Indeed - many thanks to Guus, Kev, Ralph and Edwin in particular.

> This has been my very first Summit but also my first FOSDEM. I would like to
> share some of my thoughts:
>
> 1) I think we should have an official (or not) FOSDEM MUC. A place where us
> and other people could hang out. An interesting idea would be to place a QR
> code to promote the MUC. I'm not aware of FOSDEM rules, but if we could
> print some copies of the FOSDEM's MUC information (QR code) and put them on
> some walls would be nice. It's not a big deal to remove them afterwards.

Some estimates of the attendees come to ~14k, which might be tricky...
But, we could also very easily mutate this idea in a couple of ways:

a) Run a chatroom per devroom (and maybe, optionally, one per stand even).
b) Have a bot to "broadcast" messages from FOSDEM itself to all the rooms.
c) Have a JS chatroom app for anonymous access (we might tweak things
to note these people are Anonymous).

If we ran the service actually on the FOSDEM network, it might even
work. It'd require a bit of agreement/support from FOSDEM themselves.

> 2) In order to make people engage with XMPP, we could organize a raffle. The
> idea would be, make people join the FOSDEM MUC and do a giveaway for
> participants in it.
> They would sign up using a bot on the MUC itself or just sending a message
> to a particular JID.
> This would make people get an actual JID if they don't have one already, and
> let them discover XMPP by using it. If they enjoy the time on the MUC, I'm
> sure they will keep XMPP in their minds.
> For people that don't have an account nor a client, would be interesting to
> have someone on the Real Time Lounge with a laptop to help people get an
> account. We could grab a public server list or whatever. Also help them
> getting a client to participate on the MUC. We could advertise this on the
> posters from my previous thought 1).
> I don't know what the gift could be, if I had an old laptop I would offer
> it, or maybe collecting some money to buy one. This is just an idea, it can
> be anything, this could be discussed if people like it.
> But in any case the important thing of this is, that it would help us to
> make some noise at FOSDEM and let people know about XMPP, and how cool it
> is. Ideally, the giveaway would be done the last day or so, to retain people
> joined for some time. The only issue on this would be the bad connection one
> has in the building.

Actually, a few raffles to give away a free t-shirt, and - if we're
talking a bot - a raffle bot that stands could use to run their own
would be pretty cool.

(As far as bad connection goes - see above. I think it's the uplink
that's overloaded, not the actual Wifi).

> 3) An additional idea, would be to make a real time quiz on the FOSDEM MUC.
> I don't know about what the prizes could be, and I haven't thought about the
> topic, but it would be cool to just give some little things to winners. This
> would make people participate actively on the MUC, making them enjoy the
> time there and inviting some others, probably.

Quizzes, rather than raffles, sometimes come under different laws.
We'd need to check that for Belgium.

> 4) We don't have any booklet about what XMPP is! We have the server setup
> guide, but anything explaining what or why! We should definitely create a
> booklet aimed to end users, to let them know what, why and how to use XMPP.
> Some people don't want to install any server, just chat!
> I'm thinking on some kind of diagram to explain federation (in a very quick
> way, remember we talk about end users), and so on. Non techie, please!

I'm a sucker for a simple looping video. I liked Erlang Solution's one
- it gives a compelling reason to hang around the stand.

> Also, the following one maybe is too humorous but just as an example that
> there are plenty of things we can do, we could build FOSDEMatch, where
> people could provide their jid and be matched with a potential partner to
> find love using XMPP at FOSDEM :D
>
> Even if I'm joking, is just to say that we should try to make sure people
> attending FOSDEM hears about XMPP.

Totally agreed, these are awesome ideas.