[Summit] Language!

Guus der Kinderen guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:53:39 UTC 2019

Hello everyone!

As we're preparing for another summit, I'd like to share some feedback that
I received last year.

Our group is diverse: attendees come from different backgrounds. Not
everyone masters the English language to the same degree, which is
something that we should probably be more aware of.

Last year, some of the attendees were not able to follow some of the
discussions, as the level of English used was to high for them. Sadly, I
wasn't aware at the time. I was very sorry to hear that people felt they
were left out a little.

I would like for everyone to be able to participate fully. I'm confident
that everyone shares this feeling. I'm asking you to try and avoid complex
use of the English language, to make sure that everyone can follow.

Although I understand that someone might be reluctant to bring this up in
public, I urge everyone to do so if this affect you (if you prefer, you can
do this to me in private).

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone again in a couple of weeks! Regards,

  Guus