[Summit] Language!

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Thu Jan 17 16:56:07 UTC 2019

Hello,

thanks for raising this point, as I've had myself got sometimes troubles to follow everything in the past, specially the first year (also remember that it's hard to impossible to stay 100% concentrated while having a whole day of technical discussion in a foreign language).
A good bunch of XMPP people are native English speakers, so they tend to speak quickly (specially if they're answering to an other English speaker). It would really be nice if native speakers could make efforts to speak not too fast.
From my point of view, it's more a problem of speed/accents than vocabulary (and yes I know that I have a terrible accent myself, but I'm excused I'm French ;) ).

The live minutes (etherpad or similar) is really helpful to check what we may have missed, so it would be a good idea to prepare an instance and to have a couple of people filling it during the meeting.

An other point I've feeled in the past, specially the first time, is that a lot of people already know each other in XMPP community, which may make it hard for a new comer to follow or integrate in the discussion, please keep that in mind.
I've seen a couple of times the debate moving to a quick, hard to follow, discussion between 2 or 3 people only, and for an extended period of time.

The summit is generally really useful and a nice occasion to meet each other, and it has so far always been well organised too.  This is just some remarks that could make it even better, specially for newcomers or non native speakers.

Thanks :)
Goffi